Soup and bread are a classic combination, but not all bread can step up to the challenge. I've got you covered with the 29 of the best bread ideas to serve with any kind of soup.
❤️ Why we love it
- Bread and soup are two of the most beloved comfort foods
- Filling, nutritious, and easy to make
- Easily transform it into an entire meal by adding various toppings and seasonings
A steaming bowl of soup and a chunk of warm bread makes even a chilly day better. Simple ingredients, a little time, and there's a hearty meal on the table.
There's nothing better than that.
Breads for creamy soup
Creamy soups (like cream of broccoli, potato, and tomato soup) are a variety of thicker soups that need heartier bread. When choosing the best bread for creamy soups, you want a dense texture and crunchy outer crust.
I love sourdough with broccoli cheese soup or clam chowder. Cornbread goes with chili... in fact, there's a type of bread for any of the different kinds of soups you like.
Best breads for stew
Stew is the ultimate comfort food. Depending on the kind, they contain a variety of vegetables, proteins, and flavorful liquids that create a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs meal.
Choose a bread that complements the flavors and ingredients in your stew.
Pumpernickel and rye breads are delicious with stews made with beer. Cornbread is always great with chili and vegetarian bean based stews. And, biscuits are necessary with chicken stews of all kinds.
- Rye bread
- Irish soda bread
- Cornbread muffins
- Dinner rolls
- English muffins
- Homemade bread bowls
Breads that go with brothy soups
When it comes to brothy soups, you want bread that is light and airy. These types of breads will not overwhelm the delicate flavors in the soup. Plus, they're great for soaking up the last drops of delicious broth!
- Garlic breadsticks
Whether you’re in the mood for your favorite soup, a hearty stew, or something in between, there are plenty of bread options that will go with any slurpable delicacy you make.
Here are some other delicious types to try.
- Garlic bread (shown above)
- Italian bread
- Banana bread
- Zucchini bread
- Pumpkin bread
- Irish soda bread
💭 Things to know
These tips will help you choose the perfect bread for your soup!
- Choose a heartier bread for creamy soups.
- Brothy soups are best paired with lighter and airier bread.
- A crusty bread will go with almost anything.
- Garlic bread is an excellent choice for most types of soup.
- Add crunchy croutons to any soup for additional texture.
- Experiment with different types of bread for a unique flavor combination.
- Toast the bread before adding it to your soup for an extra crunch.
- Homemade bread has a shorter shelf life than store-bought. So, be sure to make it the day of or the day before you plan to eat it for the best results.
- Stale bread is perfect for homemade croutons.
- Most bread freezes really well. It's great to have in the freezer for when you're sick, need a quick dinner, or get a huge craving for bread and soup at a moment's notice!
- Enjoy freshly-baked homemade bread with homemade soup for the ultimate comfort food experience!
What's your favorite bread to serve with soup? Leave a comment and let us know!